Sunday, September 8, 2013

When Life Takes Hold

Hey peeps!

Have you ever felt like you just had to seize the moment...or forever drown in a life not meant for you? The universe has a way of doing such things to people, especially in high school. 

Do I apply to art school or become a business major like my parents want?

Do I date the guy who is perfect...or the guy that's screwed up, yet perfect for me? 

Do I keep pretending to like the same things as these friends I've had since the third grade or admit that we've drifted and blaze my own trail? 

The universe opens up all of these life-altering decisions in high school...but here's the kicker...that doesn't change with adulthood-- the stakes just get higher. 

So how does a person filter all the bullshit thrown our way by family, "well meaning" friends, and social expectations to find the path meant for us? 

Examine all scenarios: What happens if I do X instead of Y? What are the possible repercussions and/or outcomes (both positive and negative)?

Set a reasonable goal: If I really want this, what will it take to make it happen? How long will it take? What resources do I need to gather to make this happen? 

Make the decision: Hey, everyone...I'm leaving college to backpack through Europe for a year. Sounds crazy? I know, but I have a plan, and I'm doing what it takes to make it happen. This may not be the norm, but it will make ME happy.

Jump: I heard a Dr. Seuss quote that said “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Not everyone will always support you in your dreams. It may go against their belief system, or they may just not get it. The point is that your dreams were meant for YOUR happiness, so at the end if the day it's you who has to deal with the outcome of taking that leap...or not. 

Until next time...

Peace, love, and making your own way


No comments:

Post a Comment