Saturday, May 24, 2014

Turning pain into writing

I'll be the first to admit that I have established some bad habits when I'm upset. Emotion bubbles up quickly, and all I want to do is lash out. 

There's this one calming technique I've read about recently: free writing. I tried it just today, and it's really great. I just wrote down my feelings as I was feeling them, not worrying about grammar or punctuation. Not caring if what I'm writing sounds stupid. 

And the best part is that it actually worked. I felt better once I got it all out. Sometimes you can't  express your emotions to the person You're feeling them towards for whatever reason. But it still doesn't stop the emotions, so this is a great way to get it out. 

And a bonus, I can use these emotional time stamps in my writing when I have a character who might be feeling the same things. It will give the character actual emotional depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment