Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Story of Us: The Year Ahead

Holly: New Year's resolutions aren't for everyone, but I personally love them. Every January feels like a clean slate, a time to turn dreams into goals and make them happen. I usually end up meeting all of my resolutions every year because I make a game plan and stick to it.

Here are mine for 2014:

- Run 3 miles 3 days a week
- Make one new in-the-flesh girlfriend 
- Read 24 books
- Listen to 4 literary classics via audiobook
- Brush up on world geography
- Learn basic world history
- Gain a better understanding of popular religions 
- Keep a daily doodle journal
- Learn 7 new songs on the mandolin
- Watch 5 films I've been wanting to see but haven't 
- Become more active in the writing community
- Submit at least 3 works for publication
- Learn to drive stick
- Learn to cook 5 new dishes 

I think the key to resolutions is finding things you WANT to do or learn. Because who the hell wants to feel forced over a list they're not even obligated to make? For me it's all about having fun and growing. 

Chris: Honestly, I never make these things. Yes, there are many ideas that I have for the new year and things that I'd like to accomplish, but I've never really made a list of what I'd like to do in a year. I think it stems from worrying too much that I will fail them all miserably and won't be able to complete a single one.

However, as the years have passed, some of my unofficial goals have been met throughout the year, so I guess--perhaps--I'm safe to create an official list this year. And as you'll see, I have many similar ones as Holly, since we're supporting each other in these ventures.

- Walk/Run three miles, three days a week
- Read, at least, four non-fiction books this year
- Learn basic history--world and American
- Write/Create at least four new songs via my Groovebox
- Have four short works published online or in print
- Eat healthier and learn to make meals that are better for a person
- Finish revisions on a long overdue WIP
- Complete six watercolor paintings

We'll see how this goes, but I feel like, with Holly in my corner to help, I'll stay on track and can find a solid plan to creating some interesting stuff this year. Here's to a year of creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment