Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Spreading the Talent

Hello, there!


Holly: You know what's better than having a talent? Using if for the good of mankind! Okay, maybe not mankind...but maybe one man? Or just to be kind? I'm lucky enough to say that writing is my talent. It's something that I love, and I'm able to put my heart into and never get tired of it. But lately I've felt like I could be doing more with my writing skills than just...well...writing. That's why I applied for, and was lucky enough to get, a volunteer position for an organization called Deep.  Starting this September I will get to help a select group of middle schoolers realize their potential through creative writing. I'll get to work with a co-fellow and hang out with some awesome (and talented) kids! It's proof that putting your talent out into the world by using it to help others is a great way to feel good about yourself...and maybe even learn something new!



Chris: One of my professors once told me, “If you really want to write, you have to give up everything else. I loved pottery, but when I decided to write, I gave it up."

It made sense, as I understand the sacrifices we must make for what we love. But to sacrifice one love for another? Bella might’ve made that choice, but I couldn’t do it. (That’s right, I just made a Twilight reference. Deal with it.) I still divide my time between the things I love. And I’m happiest when I’m working for those around me. I’ve created flyers for my wife’s college Nursing Club, provided guest webcomics for strangers,  painted gifts and Just Becauses for my friends, built book covers for my fellow writers, and was even privileged enough to provide the graphic novel pages for A. E. Stueve’s hybrid novella, The ABCs of Dinkology.

My professor’s words still echo every time I sit down to draw or paint or Wacom. And plenty of words have missed the pages because of my choices. But I don’t regret my decision to keep this in my life. Not for a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment